The families and members of NAMI Johnson County (NAMIJC) are here to help! We offer understanding to anyone concerned about mental illnesses and the treatment of mental illness.
Mental illnesses are brain disorders that are biologically based medical problems. Untreated, they can cause severe disturbances in thinking, feeling and relating. This results in substantially diminished capacity for dealing with the ordinary demands of life. Mental illness can affect persons of any age and occur in any family. They are not caused by bad parenting and not evidence of weakness of character.
The mission of NAMI Johnson County (NAMIJC) is to provide support, research, education and advocacy throughout the Johnson County area on behalf of individuals and families affected by mental illness and to improve the quality of life of those whose lives are affected by these diseases.
NAMI Johnson County will accomplish its mission by working:
- To offer to persons with mental illness, their families and friends, mutual support through self-help methods and by providing weekly support groups for families and friends, as well as those living with mental illness.
- To promote dignity and respect for persons with mental illness.
- To provide reassurance that mental illnesses are no-fault, biologically based, brain disorders, and that persons affected can improve the quality of their lives.
- To educate our members and the public about mental illness in order to erase the stigma that accompanies mental illness through NAMI Signature programs and NAMIJC sponsored events.
- To provide information about services, laws, regulations, and medical care that affect persons with mental illnesses, their families and friends.
- To advocate and foster research, quality community support, effective treatment systems, housing, medical care, socialization, and employment opportunities for persons with mental illness in Johnson County.
- To grow and expand NAMIJC’s presence throughout the Johnson County community and surrounding areas byactively recruiting, engaging and serving persons or group of persons mentioned in the above non-discrimination statement.
- To help in NAMI’s support of research by supporting voluntary demographic data collection in NAMI Signature programs and NAMIJC membership, and by reporting the data to NAMI and NAMI IOWA.
- NAMI Johnson County is a dynamic and well‐run organization.
- NAMI Johnson County is financially secure and independent.
- NAMI Johnson County is the leading voice in mental illness advocacy.
- NAMI Johnson County offers state‐of‐the‐art education and information.
- NAMI Johnson County seeks out, listens to and engages people of diverse perspectives and experiences in ways that are inclusive, respectful, relevant and responsive.